Thursday, June 28, 2012

Mirror, mirror

So I'd started to burn the unfinished frame of this mirror quite a long time ago.  I had a Celtic knot design, and it was so time consuming and frustrating that it was sitting undone for months.  Well, it's a piece that my sister-in-law really wanted to use at the renaissance faires we vend at, so I thought I'd better buck up and finish it.  Turns out, it would have been a lot less frustrating if I'd been using a different tip all those months ago.  The wood burner has interchangeable tips to attach to it.  The one I'd been using when I started looked kind of like a dull, squat pencil tip.  I have since found the joy of using a taper tip.  It's flat on the bottom, teardrop-shaped and perfect for shading and doing really detailed work when you use the tip of it.  So, when I picked up that mirror project to finish yesterday, I didn't feel like pulling my hair out!  Bonus!


And so, I now have a completed mirror for my sister-in-law to use.  And because she's awesome, she's giving me amazing jewelry in trade for it!

All things considered, I'm really glad I manned up and finished that project yesterday - that, along with another sign...


because last night I brought my photo album of all of my wood burnings to my weekly dance performance to have a friend pick out what she wants me to make for her.  The album became a bit more popular and I came home with not one, but three new orders with a fourth coming soon.  Dude!  So, my next big project will be starting today - a 1 foot by 1 1/2 foot piece of a horse.  This one, to be specific...


This is a photo of a 3x5" plaque.  Now, we'll see how much more detail I can get in there when it's the size of a platter!

No comments:

Post a Comment