Thursday, October 25, 2012

The Unveiling

Time for the reveal of my big project!

I had some wood left over after cutting my piece for my upcoming 16x20" show piece, and decided to make this for my mom and stepdad.

















It's a cabinet and holder for toilet paper.  Their house was built in 1861, and so I chose designs for the wood burning that suited that time period.  The design on the cabinet door is of a late 1800's staircase baluster that would have been a piece cast in iron.  On the top I chose a honeysuckle motif that was popular for use on dishes, wall decor, embroidery, etc.

 Which, for some unknown reason, my computer has decided to rotate counterclockwise no matter what I do.

I finished the structure with a polyshades stain and coated the burned portions with mineral oil.  I had attempted to seal the entire thing with urethane, but after putting a coat of it on the backside of the door, I discovered that it turns the laminated pine yellow.  Unfortunate, but other methods will work.

So there you have it!  A large piece I built from scratch!  Now that's a sense of accomplishment!


No comments:

Post a Comment