Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Short on Time

Well I came out early finishing the special orders this past week, but not soon enough to get another sign made before our event this weekend.  I'm hoping to get a 'Welcome' sign done so I can at least scan it and put it in the photo album before we set off, but the urethane won't be done in time.  :(  It'll just have to go to the second weekend of Faire.

This is why I like to do special orders... Someone comes to you and says what they want, whether it be specific or general.  There is much less guess work and you have a solid direction to go.  When you're creating pieces to add to your stock, there is no specific client, so you have to pick and choose your subjects and hope they appeal to someone to turn it into a sale.  For the 'Welcome' sign I'm working on, I chose a large close-up of a daisy that will be burned lightly as a background, with the lettering done over the top bold and dark.  So far, so good.  Now how many people will it appeal to?

This isn't the first time I've done some flower pieces.  I've tried some other styles as well.


For this tulip I darkened the background to make the flower more three-dimensional.  For the daisy I'm working on, it'll be the standard style of a blank background.  I'm still debating whether or not I want to add some color to it...

No comments:

Post a Comment